The exhibition will showcase the models of the 12 finalists of the international TAB Installation Programme Competition, which took place from 2nd November until 30th of January 2019.
The winning proposal Steampunk will be built in August 2019 in the lively pedestrian green area facing the Museum of Estonian Architecture and will open to the public during TAB 2019 Opening Week on September 11th, 2019. The structure will remain in place until the next edition of the event in 2021.
The competition winner is project titled Steampunk – a pavilion made of steam-bent timber elements, using analogue tools augmented with the precision of mixed reality environments. It explores an adaptive design and fabrication system that is resilient to wide tolerances in material behaviour and fabrication accuracy, occupying a fuzzy in-between that is neither purely ad-hoc nor purely automated. Steampunk explores a path to rethink applications and traditions of craft in pursuit of their evolution.
Architects: Gwyllim Jahn, Cameron Newnham (Fologram, AU), Soomeen Hahm Design (UK), Igor Pantic (UK).
Engineering: Format Engineers
Project Team: Sean Guy, Xavier Madden, Nick van den Berg, Hanjun Kim, Aishe Kokoshi, Triin Juhanson, Karim Rouabah, Szymon Padlewski, Thorlak Solberg, Christopher Ferris, Jack Mansfield-Hung, James Morton, Muhammad Ejle, Taivo Lints, Hugo Loydell, Mathilde Grodem, Trine Jarsto, Bodil Eiterstraum, Gerda Levin, Simon Greil, Linn Johansson, Filip Nyborg, Anne Frydenlund, Arissara Reed, Haya Termanini, Mikkel Sorenson, Katrin-Maria Terras, Liis Aleksejeva, Annika Ülejõe, Kertu Jõeste, AnnaLiisa Saavaste, Helena Ojabstein, Lukas Winter, Philippe Hannequart, Tristan Krevald, Finbar Charleson, Ben Norris and Tom Morgan.
TAB Installation Competition 12 finalists:
- Venations- CITA, str.ucture (Denmark/Germany)
- Expired Beauty- Déborah López, Hadin Charbel, Patrick Donbeck (Thailand)
- Man VS Nature – Ephemeral Research (Japan/Chile)
- Cloud XS- Manuel Jimenez Garcia (UK)
- STASIS- Grimshaw (UK)
- Taxes- Rehm, Ishida and Lutz (USA)
- Broken Pixels- Raul Kalvo (Estonia)
- Combonest- Plethora Project – Jose Sanchez (USA)
- The Next Shelter- SET Architects (Italy)
- Common Matter- SomePeople (USA)
- Steampunk- Gwyllim Jahn, Cameron Newnham (Fologram, AU), Soomeen Hahm Design (UK) and Igor Pantic (UK)
- Primitive Village – SPORTS (USA)